> Brest region > Pinsk county > Pinsk town
Pinsk. Jesuit College

Pinsk - travel guide - photos and attractions

The first written mention: 1097

Spelling variations:
Пінск Пинск Pińsk Pinsk

52° 6'42.47"N, 26° 6'18.36"E

What to see:

Lost heritage

History of Pinsk

Pinsk (Belarusian: Пінск), a town in Belarus, in the province of Palesse, travesed by the river Pripet, at the confluence of the Strumen and Pina rivers. The region is known as the Marsh of Pinsk. It is a fertile agricultural center. It lies south-west of Minsk. Population 128,300. The city is a small industrial center producing ships sailing the local rivers.

Pinsk (Pinesk) is first mentioned in 1097 as a town belonging to Sviatopolk, prince of Kyiv. In 1132 it formed part of the Minsk principality. After the Mongol invasion of 1239 it became the chief town of a separate principality, and continued to be so until the end of the 13th century.

In 1320 it was annexed to the Grand Duchy of Lithuania; and in 1569, after the union of Lithuania with the Crown of the Polish Kingdom, it was chief town of the province of Brest. During the rebellion of chieftain Bohdan Chmielnicki (1640), it was captured by Cossacks who carried out a pogrom against the city's Jewish population; the Poles retook it by assault, killing 24,000 persons and burning 5,000 houses. Eight years later the town was burned by the Russians. Charles XII took it in 1706, and burned the town with its suburbs.

Pinsk was annexed to Russia in 1793 in the Third Partition of Poland, retaken in 1920 in the course of the Polish-Soviet War and once again captured by the Soviet Union in 1939. From 1941 to 1944 it was occupied by Nazi Germany. As of 1991 Pinsk has belonged to the Republic of Belarus.

Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This text is taken from Wikipedia and published at Radzima.org according to GNU Free Documentation License

Pinsk. : Places of interest | selected photos

Pinsk. : Lost heritage | Photo


Курыя Пінскай дыяцэзіі:
225710, Рэспубліка Беларусь, г.Пінск, вул. Леніна, 16
Тэл.+375 (165) 68 31 57 т./факс
Тэл. маб. +375 (25) 604 41 86
e-mail: pinskdioces@gmail.com
e-mail: pinsk_dioces@catholic.by
buenas noches, soy DIANA ALEJANDRA RUBAJA. Quisiera saber si cuentan con registros de la gente nacida en PINSK en 1910, y algun registro de sinagoga o servicio militar de mi abuelo BORAJ RUBACHA (BORIS RUBAJA EN ARGENTINA). MI ABUELO VIVIO EN PINSK HASTA 1931, AÑO QUE EMIGRO A ARGENTINA.
Mam wielką prośbę o podanie adresu e-mail do parafii lub kurii. Poszukuję aktu małżeństwa Jana Zimosza (ur. 26 grudnia 1895 rok w Sielcu k. Wiślicy, syna Małgorzaty i Piotra Zimosza), który dnia 29 sierpnia 1932 roku w parafii katedralnej w Pińsku zawarł związek małżeński z Ireną Antoniną Dąbkowską....
Евгений Евгеньевич!Зашел на Ваш сайт,мне очень понравилось Ваше оформление,особенно про Пинск и его историю за это Вам огромное спасибо.Нам жителям Пинска и его землякам которые по жизненным обстоятельствам в нем не живут это очень интересно.Огромное Вам спасибо!...
Во что превратили кладбище, варвары !...